Sunday 5 June 2011

How do I fix BIOS ROM checksum error?

I’m really pissed off by my desktop computer. Damn it!


I can only use it sometimes because it often won’t turn on successfully. I displays an error message:





Award BootBlock Bios v1.0


Copyright © 2000, Award Software, Inc.


BIOS ROM Checksum error


Detecting floppy drive A media…


DISK BOOT FAILUR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER-





The history of how it’s getting worse is found below followed by the questions.





Eight months ago – My computer turns on normally and shows error message every time I restart it. I have to wait for 10-15 minutes before I can turn it on again after the attempt of restarting it.





Five months ago – The time I have to wait has gotten longer. I have to wait for more than 15 minutes.





Two months ago - My computer does not turn on often. It’s because when I want to turn it on, it always display the error message. But sometimes, I can- but only by luck!





A month ago – I have researched for some treatments. And one of which is changing the CMOS battery, so, I did replace it. But it stays the same. I can hardly turn it on.





Now – I never turned it on again. But I once got into the BIOS Settings then the “CPU External Frequency” was highlighted. The figures were: 133/33(the first on the list)





Now here are my questions:


~ Is the problem hardware or software?


~Does the “CPU External Frequency” have something to do with it?


~I’m planning to reformat my computer ASAP. Will that solve the problem?





Note: My motherboard is ASUS X Series motherboard. (Maybe it would help)





Sorry for that long question and I hope you would help me.


Thanks in advance.|||Below is a quote:





If your computer has just been formatted, your computer might require you to insert the boot CD to be able to run it.





You might hence get the error message Disk Boot Failure- Insert disk and press enter displayed on the screen every time you will try to run it. This might be linked to:


•1. The boot options not correctly set in BIOS


•2. A non bootable CD is found in your CD drive


•3. You do not possess any bootable device


•4. You have installed a new hard disk


•5. The hard disk is not properly plugged


•6. Your system files have been infected


--------------------------------------…


source I got it from:


http://en.kioskea.net/faq/341-error-mess…


--------------------------------------…


My writing now:


So check that your options for boot sequence is right, if you have two or more hard drives installed





Make sure you do not have a non bootable cd in the drive, if set up for CD start first. It should be set up to start on Hard drive, then CD





Make sure you do not have a non bootable floppy disk in the floppy disk drive





Check all your connections, maybe one of them is loose. (Cables and power to hard drive)|||Looks like either the Master Boot Record was corrupted, or the hard disk has failed.





Given what has been happening over the months, it sounds like your hard disk has failed. IF that is the case, you will need a new hard drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment